THE ROLE OF NON-GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS SERVICES ON POVERTY REDUCTION IN RWANDA
The main objective of the study is to analyze the role of non government organizations services on poverty reduction in Rwanda with a reference to Caritas Rwanda in Musanze district. The specific objectives were to determine the role of income generating projects to Caritas beneficiaries on poverty reduction in Musanze District; to assess the role of direct support programs to Caritas beneficiaries on poverty reduction in Musanze District, to examine the role of micro financing activities to Caritas beneficiaries on poverty reduction in Musanze District and to investigate the indicators of poverty reduction among beneficiaries after Caritas intervention in Musanze District. The sample size was 388 respondents from the total population consist of 13116 individual beneficiaries of Caritas interventions distributed in 15 sectors of Musanze district. In selecting the respondents the researcher used the cluster sampling. In this research instruments are questionnaires, interview and observations. Descriptive statistics were used where distribution (frequencies, percentages) through statistical package for social sciences (SPSS, 23.0). NGOs provided employment generating programs to its beneficiaries where 120 respondents representing 30.9% have strongly agreed to the statement and the remaining 268 respondents representing 69.1% have agreed to the assertion. NGOs provides direct support to vulnerable people among its beneficiaries as the results indicated that 216 respondents representing 55.7% have agreed to the statement followed by 152 respondents representing 39.2% having strongly agreed to the affirmation. Through sensitization for saving, NGOs helped the beneficiaries to develop the culture of saving for the future uncertainties and development so that poverty can be reduced at a sustained basis. NGOs provided psychological support to multiple people in critical situation of poverty, disease, the care for the elderly, sick and children who have various health problems like physical disabilities, mental health and deaf-mute disability. The indicators of poverty reduction among beneficiaries after Caritas intervention include access to improved means of production, increased income levels and general improvement i lifestyle and standard of living of beneficiaries. The results indicated the Pearson correlation coefficient of 0.914 implies that there is a very strong positive correlation between the non-government organizations and the poverty reduction among Caritas beneficiaries in Musanze district. The value of adjusted R squared was 0.819 an indication that there was variation of 81.9% on poverty reduction level among Caritas beneficiaries in Musanze district due to changes in employment generating programs, direct support to vulnerable people, psycho social support and sensitization to saving and credit groups at 95% confidence interval. This research recommends to the future researcher to do the related topic to the similar field like the Non-Governmental Organization activities and government development priorities integration in Rwanda.